Frederick G. Clapp, Citadelle du Christophe (1816-1820). Haiti, June 29, 1935. American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
Tag Archives: architecture
[Port-au-Prince, January 12, 2010, 16:53.] Image: Cathédrale de Port-au-Prince à Haïti (1922). Source: Gallica.
The National Palace of Haiti, Port-au-Prince (1912-2012), Georges H. Baussan, Architect. Image: “Haitian White House,” Date Unknown. Source: Art, Architecture, and Engineering Library, Lantern Slide Collection, University of Michigan Library. Click on image for larger version.
The new US Embassy Staff Housing consists of 107 new townhouse units and a new Deputy Chief of Mission residence, along with support facilities, including a recreation center with an outdoor pool and courts, for two separate compounds. The townhomes are large and range from three to five bedroom units. The inspiration for the design […]
An English visitor to Haiti in the year 1842 described the Port-au-Prince of Boyer’s time as a city of “wooden buildings, with the pavement dislocated or broken up, the drains neglected, filth and stable dung interrupting your steps in every direction.” With all its matchless advantages of situation, this disappointed tourist added, “with every inherent […]
Henri Christophe built his citadel in the first decade of the nineteenth century on the top of a mountain more than three thousand feet high, which dominates the fertile plains of Northern Haiti. He built it as a last stronghold against the French if they attempted to retake Haiti. The trip up took a little […]
The Minaret of Jam is the second tallest brick tower in the world after the Qutub Minar in New Delhi… Located east of Herat, the minaret stands on the site of what may be the capital of the Ghorid Dynasty, which ruled Afghanistan from 1148 to 1214. The site also includes the ruins of a […]
Residence of Mr. and Mrs. André Mangones, Bizoton, Port-au-Prince, Haiti (1942). Architect: Albert Mangones. Source: A.D. White Collection of Architectural Photographs, Cornell University Library.